The Merchandise and Licensing Manager reports directly to the Chief Marketing Officer and is primarily responsible for commercial opportunities related to the American Flat Track brand, including management of the in-house merchandise project and curation of profitable licensing arrangements. Coordinates all efforts related to the design, production, marketing and sale of the Company’s merchandise, including artistic direction, design briefs and approval processes, contract negotiations with third parties, supply chain management, product marketing/messaging, digital and social promotions, event retail sales, online sales/fulfilment and customer service.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Merchandise & Licensing
- Develop, analyze and refine the Company’s merchandise strategy with the aim of maximizing margin and delivering income to the bottom line
- Develop a licensing strategy for expansion of the Company’s athlete and event merchandise lines
- Determine and manage the Merchandise budget; deliver sales revenue targets while operating within budget on expense
- Steer overall design strategy in the direction of strategic goals; curate a portfolio of high-quality designers and cost-effective suppliers
- Negotiate licensing arrangements and production contracts with third parties
- Develop a strategy and manage the process for production and delivery of staff uniforms which maximizes value and minimizes cost
- Analyze sales and analytics data to provide regular management reports on merchandise financials and insight into sales trends
- Event Retail Sales
- Develop a cost-conscious model for retail sales of merchandise at events
- Recruit and manage contract sales staff
- Coordinate the creation and management of a consumer-friendly retail storefront for merchandise sales at each event
- Provide accurate reporting of trackside sales and financial data from events
- Online Sales, Advertising and Promotion
- Develop, analyze and refine the Company’s strategy for online merchandise sales
- Manage the Company’s online store and develop a strategy for site enhancements to drive sales
- Develop a digital advertising strategy and social media promotion schedule in conjunction with Comms Manager
- Brand Management
- Develop an iron-clad approval process for stakeholders authorized to use the AFT brand
- Ensure that all contracts with stakeholders and licensees include the appropriate requirements related to the use of the AFT brand.
- Ensure all materials produced by stakeholders and licensees are approved and conform with AFT branding requirements, including correct logo usage on staff uniforms, merchandise, rider and team uniforms
Percent of travel required: 20%, including weekend travel.
Directly supervises assigned staff. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or five (5) years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision, manage multiple projects and deliver on sales revenue goals within budget.
- Expertise in brand management, licensing, merchandising, retail sales, advertising and digital promotions
- The entrepreneurial spirit to drive year-over-year increases in merchandise and license income
- The ability to identify a brand’s target audience and match a product portfolio with consumer preferences
- A deep understanding of the financial model for a successful merchandise business
- A successful track history with digital promotions and online advertising
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and communicate at all levels, both inside and outside the organization, accept / make changes due to constructive feedback and must be a team player
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills with a passion for using numerical data to identify and communicate critical, actionable insights to key stakeholders
- Experience in managing/mentoring team members
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Must be self-motivated and a self-starter; quick learner for a multifaceted business and able to take initiative
- Must possess strong organizational, project management and problem-solving skills with multi-tasking abilities in a fast-paced corporate environment, with ability to handle deadlines.
- Basic skills on Company provided hardware and software.
- Must be fluent in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint)
- Must have an understanding of basic graphic design concepts and experience with Adobe Creative Cloud Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Must have experience with managing eCommerce platforms (Magento)
- Must have experience with management of digital advertising platforms (Facebook Business, Google Adwords)
Learn more about this role and our team by applying at www.careers.nascar.com for consideration.
American Flat Track is committed to fostering a diverse work environment where all employees feel valued and empowered. American Flat Track is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO). We seek to attract and retain the best qualified people available. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, veteran status or any other basis that is protected by applicable law except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists.
Follow us on Twitter @NASCARJobs